from Professor Baden at the University of Southampton provides important insights into how to use fiction most effectively to inspire greener behaviour, and about how to motivate sustainable practices more generally. Denise is happy to talk at writing and/or sustainability themed events or as a guest lecturer on creative writing courses about her research and how to write to change the world or for a cause.
UPCOMING EVENTS in 2021
World Forum on Climate Justice 22nd Sept 2021 ‘Inspiring Green Behaviours: How to Move beyond Preaching to the Converted’.
Online 11.00 – 11.15 Sign up here
Irish Writers Centre Climate Writers Group 6th October 2021 ‘Writing climate fiction’
Online 19.35 – 21.00 Sign up here
Ethical Consumer week 21st Oct 2021 7pm – 9pm: ‘Inspiring Green Behaviours’.
Online. Pay as you can https://www.eventbrite.com/e/inspiring-green-behaviours-how-to-move-beyond-preaching-to-the-converted-tickets-168572451741
Self-Publishing Conference 23/24 Oct 2021 ‘Writing for a Cause: Do’s and Don’ts’.
Online date/time tbc
Bristol Climate Writers Nov 10th 7.30 – 9pm. ‘Writing for a Sustainable Future’.
Festival of Social Science, November 2021 ‘Imagining a Sustainable Future via Green Stories’.
Free entry. Date tbc. Location may be at University of Southampton or online – tbc
Check again soon for upcoming events or subscribe to our mailing list
to be notified of future events.
Prize Giving Event for short story competition 21/6/2018 October Books, Southampton. This celebrates the winners of our Green Stories competition, and pick up a free mini-anthology to give you a taster before the full one is published early 2019.
- Talk on ‘writing to change the world’ at the Writers Weekend 26th June 2021. There are four wonderful days of events and talks for writers 24-27 June including a talk by Denise Baden on writing to change the world – see https://writersweekend.uk/2021-programme/
- Free Prize Giving Event, Regents University, London on 27th Jan 2020 7pm – 9.30pm.Talks by industry professionals, readings of winning entries and opportunity to network https://www.eventbrite.com/e/green-stories-prize-giving-event-tickets-86337641209
- A writer’s workshop, University of Southampton 1st/2nd Feb 2020. A writer’s workshop is being hosted by the judges to generate ideas – see https://store.southampton.ac.uk/conferences-and-events/southampton-business-school/events/green-stories-writing-workshop
- Book launch for ‘Resurrection Trust’ October Books, Southampton 28/3/2019. ‘Resurrection Trust’ is a collection of funny, dark, mad, bad, upbeat, downbeat and fantastical short stories about living sustainably from the University of Southampton’s Green Stories writing competition. From eco communities to singing buildings, and sharing economies, these stories showcase a myriad of different ideas about how humans can live more harmoniously with nature, and each other. Foreword by Caroline Lucas and review by Jonathan Porritt. Resurrection Trust is available from October Books, online from Amazon, or even better https://www.hive.co.uk/
- Writer’s workshop 19/20 January 2019 at University of Southampton.