Prize sponsored by the Literary Consultancy
This competition is free to enter.
We are looking for a radio play or series that inspires green behaviours/policies/practices. We will consider all genres – comedy, drama, romance, science fiction, mystery, crime etc. – but stories must engage with the idea of environmentally sustainable practices and/or sustainable societies see guidelines.
There are two key priorities:
- story telling ability – the story should be engaging and
- incorporate green solutions e.g. by
- showcasing what a green/sustainable society might look like and/or how we might get there.
- smuggling green solutions into a story aimed at mainstream readers – this can be quite subtle.
- using positive role models
Deadline: August 26th 2021
Length/format: choose one of three categories
- 45 minute drama
- 6 x 30 minute series: send sample/pilot episode + 3 pages outlining remaining episodes (these should be ready as we will ask for them if shortlisted).
- 5 x 15 minute series: send the first two 15 minutes episodes and an outline of the further 3 episodes (these should be ready as we will ask for them if shortlisted).
Prize: Free script appraisal and treatment by the Literary Consultancy.
Opportunities for finalists: BBC Writers room have agreed to look at the top five scripts and follow up with any writers they think have promise. In addition, Whistledown Productions produce programmes for radio and have agreed to look at the top entries.
Eligibility: Open to all, as long as it has not been produced elsewhere. All submissions must be in English and conform to the green stories criteria of showing a positive vision of what a sustainable society might look like or in some way smuggling in green solutions/policies/characters in the context of an otherwise mainstream story. Entries must be submitted via the link below.
Submit using this link. Your script will get a better reception if written in a standard radio format e.g. see http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/bbcradioscene.pdf
The first output from our green stories short stories competition is now available to buy ‘Resurrection Trust‘ – a collection of funny, dark, mad, bad, upbeat, downbeat and fantastical short stories about living sustainably. It has a foreword by Caroline Lucas and review by Jonathon Porritt. It’s £3.99/£7.99 available on Amazon or even better https://www.hive.co.uk/ which allows you support your local bookshop. Writers may find it a useful source of ideas.