Invite us to speak at your event
Research from Professor Baden at the University of Southampton provides important insights into how to use fiction most effectively to inspire greener behaviour, and about how to motivate sustainable practices more generally. Denise is happy to talk at writing and/or sustainability-themed events or as a guest lecturer on creative writing courses about her research and how to write to change the world or for a cause.
UPCOMING EVENTS in 2022
- Check again soon for upcoming events or subscribe to our mailing list to be notified of future events.
Invite Professor Denise Baden to speak at your school
Dr Denise Baden is offering sessions to schools and colleges in the Southampton region (including Eastleigh, Winchester) talking about sustainability and introducing the free Green Stories short story competition. Events last ideally 1-2 hours (although there is some flexibility), with 20-60 attendees in any session. The school/college will provide the space. If interested email Denise directly to discuss.
Denise recently gave one of her ‘Writing for a Sustainable Future’ workshops at Bitterne Park School, here’s a video of how it went:
Habitat Man Events
- University of the Third Age. Talking about Habitat Man, Wildlife Gardening and the Green Stories project 3rd May 2022.
- Eastleigh Book Club 12th April 2022 speaking about Habitat Man.
- Presentation for ‘Sustainable Development Goals Impact Lab’ at Oxford University 28/2/2022
- ‘Inspiring sustainable practice: moving beyond preaching to the converted’ The Marjon Academy Lecture Series, in association with SCION RKE Group. Wed, 2 February 2022 12:00 – 13:30 GMT. Sign up for your free tickets here.
- Denise is a special guest for Hampshire Writers’ Society, 8th feb 2022 7.30 pm. See here for details.
- Tues 18th Jan 7.30 – 9pm October Books, Southampton Denise talked about two key sustainability projects: Sustainable Hairdressing, the Green Stories Project and her eco-themed romcom Habitat Man, see HERE
- ‘Writing for a Sustainable Future’. Barton Peveril Sixth Form College, Dec 9th 2021
- ‘Writing Green Stories’ Anthropocene and More-Than-Human World, hosted by University of Nottingham Dec 8th 2021
- Bristol Climate Writers Nov 10th 7.30 – 9pm. ‘Writing for a Sustainable Future’.
- Writing Workshop, 20 Nov 2021 ‘Imagining a Sustainable Future via Green Stories’.
- Writing for a Sustainable Future year 9 workshop, Bitterne Park School. Nov 9th 2021
- Ethical Consumer week 21st Oct 2021 7pm – 9pm: ‘Inspiring Green Behaviours’.
- Book Launch Habitat Man 22nd Oct 2021 6.30pm – 9pm. October Books, Southampton
- Self-Publishing Conference 23/24 Oct 2021 ‘Writing for a Cause: Do’s and Don’ts’.
- Irish Writers Centre Climate Writers Group. 6th Oct 2021 ‘Writing Climate Fiction’. Online 119.35 – 21.00
- World Forum on Climate Justice 22nd Sept 2021 ‘Inspiring Green Behaviours: How to Move beyond Preaching to the Converted’. Online 11.00 – 11.15
- Talk on ‘writing to change the world’ at the Writers Weekend 26th June 2021. There are four wonderful days of events and talks for writers 24-27 June including a talk by Denise Baden on writing to change the world – see https://writersweekend.uk/2021-programme/
- Green Stories Workshop –Writing about Nature and the Climate with Professor Denise Baden. 20th February 2021. This workshop will give tips on how to write to change the world. Sign up for the free event by clicking here
- Free Prize Giving Event, Regents University, London on 27th Jan 2020 7pm – 9.30pm.Talks by industry professionals, readings of winning entries and opportunity to network https://www.eventbrite.com/e/green-stories-prize-giving-event-tickets-86337641209
- A writer’s workshop, University of Southampton 1st/2nd Feb 2020. A writer’s workshop is being hosted by the judges to generate ideas – see https://store.southampton.ac.uk/conferences-and-events/southampton-business-school/events/green-stories-writing-workshop
- Book launch for ‘Resurrection Trust’ October Books, Southampton 28/3/2019. ‘Resurrection Trust’ is a collection of funny, dark, mad, bad, upbeat, downbeat and fantastical short stories about living sustainably from the University of Southampton’s Green Stories writing competition. From eco communities to singing buildings, and sharing economies, these stories showcase a myriad of different ideas about how humans can live more harmoniously with nature, and each other. Foreword by Caroline Lucas and review by Jonathan Porritt. Resurrection Trust is available from October Books, online from Amazon, or even better https://www.hive.co.uk/
- Writer’s workshop 19/20 January 2019 at University of Southampton.
Prize Giving Event for short story competition 21/6/2018 October Books, Southampton. This celebrates the winners of our Green Stories competition, and pick up a free mini-anthology to give you a taster before the full one is published early 2019.